Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Being thankful in greedy times - Appreciation for soldiers and blue collar workers

This is the week when we all make our “thankful” lists. Family, friends, and rent-controlled apartments near the beach are always close to the top. Next week, we get to make our wish lists (topping mine is a rent-controlled apartment near the beach), but this week is all about giving thanks. In addition to the usual, I’m always thankful I was born in the 70’s. This year, I’m adding peace and prosperity to my list because I’m thankful for the million-and-a-half volunteers serving in the U.S. military who provide the peace and the millions of undocumented workers who support the economy that delivers the prosperity.

I’m thankful I was born in the 70’s because it means my life is, by definition, better than my dad’s. For example, by the time I was eighteen, I could vote, use any men’s room I wanted anywhere in America, and have sex with white women without it being a capital crime. And I never had to worry about being drafted to go fight and die in a jungle in Southeast Asia.

This year, I’m also thankful that my President is so smart that he’s found a way to take a country to war and, for the first time in history, not raised tax money to pay for it. In fact, he’s actually cut taxes. He’s so smart that he’s made it possible for all of us to live, work, play, and enjoy our lives uninterrupted despite the fact that we’re in the middle of what he calls the definitive struggle of our generation. How did he do it? Simple. He just made it the duty of the .5% of the population serving in the military to bear the entire burden so that those of us in the other 99.5% can keep shopping, going to movies, and eating out.

Before the draft was ended in 1973, any family could become a military family, so the sacrifice was shared when the military went to fight. Elvis Presley, Ted Williams, and all four of FDR’s sons served in World War II. Can you imagine how fast we’d be out of Iraq if Justin Timberlake, Russell Martin, and the Bush twins had to enlist in the Army? Military families are special people who bear this burden because they consider service their duty to their country, and they pass that belief down to their kids. I’m thankful for those moms and dads and husbands and wives who stay up worrying about someone who chose to put themselves in harm’s way so that I can sleep through the night.

I’m thankful Republicans in Congress decided that their corporate sponsors need a low-cost workforce that has no rights at the same time Democrats in Congress decided they need Latino votes more than they need to enforce the law, so neither side will make a deal to reform immigration law. Meanwhile, undocumented workers do back-breaking work in agriculture and meat packing so I can get fruit, vegetables, and boneless skinless chicken breasts at reasonable prices. They also work long hours in out-of-the-way hotels and convention centers so that business travelers can find an affordable room near the airport. Not to mention the work they do in our favorite restaurants so that the house special doesn’t have to cost a day’s pay.

It wouldn’t be so tough for the Democrats to agree to construct a barrier so coyotes couldn’t smuggle truckloads of people across the border; or for Republicans to agree that the petty crime of crossing the border doesn’t have to be punishable by deportation. But Democrats won’t tell their Latino base that a flood of illegal immigration is not acceptable, and Republicans won’t tell their “this is our country” base that a trickle of illegal immigration is.

I’m thankful for that first-generation American mentality that says suck it up, bust your butt, and work hard so your kids won’t have to. What if these jobs had to be done by American-born workers? Can you imagine what it would cost for a box of spring mix salad at Whole Foods? Or to get Thai food delivered? If a room at the airport Hilton suddenly costs $400 per night, what would a Saturday night at the Standard run me? I don’t even want to think about it. Because of these hard-working people, prices for things I use every day can remain artificially low and I can keep living beyond my means.

In this week of thanks before the upcoming month of greed, I’ll be thankful for peace and prosperity. Peace by overburdening one half of one percent of Americans and prosperity through the exploitation of millions of third-world workers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home