Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Family reunion just a watering hole away - The World Series at Sonny MacLean's

The World Series starts tonight with my beloved Red Sox hosting the Colorado Rockies at historic Fenway Park and as a born-and-bred Bostonian, I am already getting grief from my friends because I’m not coming home. They gave me a pass in 2004 because I was working on the Kerry campaign, but not this time. They say I should be drinking cold draught beer surrounded by Sox fans in the loving embrace of Red Sox Nation. But they don’t know about a local Santa Monica institution and the headquarters of Red Sox Nation West: Sonny McLean’s.

This place is a little slice of heaven, despite the fact that they don’t serve hard alcohol (can a brother get a full liquor license?). It’s a Boston sports bar with killer boneless Buffalo wings and it’s a short, drunken stumble from my apartment. By far, the best thing about Sonny’s is the people. When Coco Crisp recorded the last out on Sunday night, it sent the Sox to the Series and sent the bar into an absolute frenzy. There was nothing short of an explosion of cheers, followed by total strangers hugging, kissing, drinking, and loving our team together. I couldn’t have been happier and more comfortable if I was at a family reunion.

I realize that this is Dodger country and Dodgers fans think they’re hardcore loyal because they “bleed Dodger blue”. But in Boston we have a saying, “Red Sox baseball isn’t life and death. It’s bigger than that.” We don’t think of ourselves as “fans”, we think we’re part of the team. In fact, the first thing I did when we completed that historic comeback against the Yankees in 2004 was to order the official World Series cap and World Series jersey with my name on the back.

As an unofficial Ambassador from Red Sox Nation, I will point out some things to watch for in the World Series as a service to Dodgers fans. You probably can’t remember the last time the Dodgers fielded a team of 25 guys who all play hard for each other, who play with heart and passion, who play for the love of the game, and who play that way every day. So keep your eye on designated hitter David Ortiz as he greets players coming back to the Red Sox dugout and watch how he keeps guys fired up, no matter how they’re playing.

I know James Loney, Russell Martin, and Matt Kemp are the only every day players drafted by the Dodgers, so Dodgers fans aren’t used to seeing the farm system produce results on the field for the big league club. But pay attention to second baseman Dustin Pedroia, first baseman Kevin Youkilis, and center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury. These guys were supposed to be the future of the Red Sox organization, and with a combined 26 hits and 13 RBI in the Cleveland series, they’re proving that the future is now.

Dodgers fans should also watch our veteran players Mike Lowell, Julio Lugo, and J.D. Drew (remember him?) to see what happens when a first-class organization brings proven players into an already tight clubhouse and challenges those players to perform. It doesn’t always work (like when Jeff Kent referred to the “kids” on the 2007 Dodgers), but when it does, you can have the perfect combination of young guys with something to prove and veterans showing them how to get it done.

Luckily for Dodgers fans, you’ve got a Bostonian at the helm. Owner Frank McCourt settled for buying the Dodgers back in 2004 after he failed in his bid to buy the Sox. Then he got a taste of the playoffs in 2004 and 2006, so you know he has to want more. And with no salary cap in baseball, there is nothing to stop him from going out and spending the money to fill the gaping holes in his team, overtaking the Rockies, and making the Dodgers the team to beat in the National League West.

For the record, I don’t say these things to rub Dodgers fans’ noses in the Red Sox success. Far from it. I spent my entire life having my nose rubbed in it by Yankees fans, so I know what a crappy feeling that is. I’m saying these things out of pure selfishness. I want Dodgers fans to insist that their team sign another top-of-the-rotation pitcher, a power-hitting outfielder, and a power-hitting infielder because I want the Dodgers to win the National League pennant next year. That way, when the Red Sox win the ALCS (again), I won’t have to book a flight to go see a game. And if, for some reason, their team doesn’t get it together, Dodgers fans are welcome to join us at Sonny’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home